Black mould on wood is unsightly and can even pose a health risk to you and your family. Mold grows in damp, humid places, so if your wood cabinets, furniture or other wood items are in such environments, you may have a black mould problem. It is important to clean black mould from wood at first sight. If left untreated, the mould will spread and can even deteriorate the wood.
Scrub the mouldy wood with a soft brush vacuum cleaner attachment hose to remove any loose mould. If possible, take the wood outdoors to do this so that the mould spores are not released into your home.
Fill a bucket with 1 gallon of lukewarm water. Add 1/4 cup dishwashing detergent. Use your hands to thoroughly mix up the soap and water.
Dip a rag into the soapy water and wring it out well. Scrub the moulded areas of the wood with the rag. Rinse and wring out the rag frequently while cleaning.
Rinse the wood with a rag dampened with plain water. Dry the wood promptly with a clean rag. If possible, point a fan at the wood to speed up the drying process.
Combine 1 gallon of water with 1 cup of borax powder if the mould is persistent. Scrub the wood with a medium-bristled scrub brush and the borax solution until the mould is gone. Rinse the wood with a damp rag, then dry promptly.
Wipe down the wood with a rag moistened with white spirit to remove any film left from cleaning. Buff with a dry rag to restore shine to the wood.
Things you need
- Vacuum cleaner with soft brush attachment
- 1/4 cup dishwashing detergent
- 1 cup borax powder
- Medium-bristled scrub brush
- White spirit