A labret piercing is located on the bottom lip, and includes variations such as a vertical labret, a "snake bite," a "Medusa" piercing, a "lowbret," and a frenulum piercing. A "snake bite" involves two piercings on opposite sides of the mouth placed in a horizontal fashion so as to look like a snake bite. The "Medusa" piercing is located in the very centre above the top lip. A lip frenulum piercing is located on the membrane that connects the lip to the gum, and can be located on either the top or bottom lip. A labret piercing takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal; however, it does not toughen up until about a year. Any jewellery in this area that is removed for more than a day will likely close up.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Labret jewellery
Sit down or stand in front of a mirror. Place a towel in front of you to conveniently retrieve jewellery should you lose your grip while removing your labret piercing.
Hold the back plate of the labret piercing stud firmly with your front teeth. This will keep the jewellery steady. Do not bite down too hard, however, as this puts you at risk to chip a tooth.
Unscrew the front of the stud with your fingers in a counterclockwise direction and remove the stud.
Screw the new stud clockwise into the back plate of your labret jewellery. Continue to hold the back plate of the stud with your front teeth during this process.
Tips and warnings
- Do not leave labret jewellery out for more than 24 hours if your piercing is less than a year or two old; otherwise, the hole will quickly close up.
- If your labret piercing jewellery is a ring with a ball connection, consult a professional piercer to remove it with pliers.
- Do not chew on labret jewellery, as this causes damage to your teeth.
- A labret piercing can cause gum loss, tooth enamel damage and deterioration of your inner lip.
- Do not attempt to remove labret jewellery that is a ring with a ball connection on your own, as you will put yourself at risk of injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for