Many people have something special they'd like to put on display. It might be a collection of antique spoons that belonged to a grandparent, or a special gun. Gun displays can be as large as a china cabinet or as small as the case described below. They are made primarily for handguns, but can also be used for other small items.
Lay wood piece #5 on a flat surface. This will be the base of the case. The 9-inch by 12-inch side should be facing up.
Place wood piece #1 next to the 9-inch side of the base. If you look at the board from the top, you will see the 9-inch by 1-inch side. Nail the board into the base.
Repeat step 2 with wood piece #2 on the other side of the base.
Place wood piece #3 on the 12-inch side of the base. Line up the edges, so the ends touch both of the 9-inch pieces. If you are looking at the board from the top you will see the 14-inch by 1-inch side of wood piece #3. Nail in the bottom and sides. Make sure none of the nails go through the wood inside or outside the box.
Repeat step 4 on the other side with wood piece #4.
Sand the box. Make sure you sand the inside, outside and bottom. Make sure all of the corners are smooth and neat.
Stain or paint the box to match the frame.
Attach the frame to the top of the box by screwing on the hinges.
Add a lock to the box. This step is not necessary, but is recommended. Locks will help keep others from handling your gun.
If you want your box to look even better, place a piece of styrofoam in the bottom. Cover the styrofoam with red velvet fabric. Make sure it is a tight fit, so it will hold in place. Place the gun on top for display.
Tips and warnings
- If you want your box to look even better, place a piece of styrofoam in the bottom. Cover the styrofoam with red velvet fabric. Make sure it is a tight fit, so it will hold in place. Place the gun on top for display.
Things you need
- One 11-inch by 14-inch frame with glass
- Two 9-inch by 1-inch by 4-inch pieces of wood (wood pieces #1 and #2)
- Two 14-inch by 1-inch by 4-inch pieces of wood (wood pieces #3 and #4)
- One 9-inch by 12-inch by 1-inch piece of wood (wood piece #5)
- Stain or paint to match the frame