Mold and mildew on painted walls pose respiratory health risks in addition to ruining the wall&#039;s appearance. High moisture levels and lack of sunlight provide the right conditions for mould and mildew growth. Safely clean mould from painted walls with a bleach solution. Use fans or a dehumidifier to keep the area dry and prevent mould and mildew from coming back.
Open any windows in the room and place a fan nearby. Turn on the fan to blow any mould spores out of the window.
Remove any mouldy or wet items in contact with the walls. Place the items outside in the sun to dry or dispose of them in the trash.
Fill a spray bottle with water. Lightly spray the mould and mildew on the painted walls. This will prevent the mould spores from floating through the air.
Fill a bucket with 1 gallon of hot water and 1 cup of bleach.
Dip a sponge in the bucket and wring it out. Wipe the mould and mildew from the painted walls, rinsing in the bucket as necessary. Clean one vertical section at a time, ensuring there are no mould spores or mildew left on the surface.
Empty the bucket and rinse it out. Refill the bucket with clean water. Dip a new sponge in the water and wring it out. Wipe over the clean walls to remove any bleach residue. Rinse the sponge in the bucket as often as necessary.
Dry the painted walls with a towel, removing as much excess water as possible. Leave the fan on to keep air circulating until the walls dry. This may take at least two days.
Place a dehumidifier in the room to aid in drying and prevent mould and mildew from reoccurring.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend wearing protective gloves, goggles and an N-95 mask when cleaning mouldy areas.
Tips and warnings
- Place a dehumidifier in the room to aid in drying and prevent mould and mildew from reoccurring.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend wearing protective gloves, goggles and an N-95 mask when cleaning mouldy areas.
Things you need
- Spray bottle