Fireplace stone is durable and traditional, but the stone is also porous and quickly absorbs smoke soot as the fireplace emits heat from the fire. The stone develops an unsightly coating of grey or black soot. To clean off this soot build-up, mix a cleaning solution that combines heavy duty cleaners that remove the soot but are safe for use on the stone fireplace.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Towels or dust sheets
- Dish detergent
- Nylon brush
Line the floor underneath the fireplace with either dust sheets or old towels, as this will capture cleaning solution during the cleaning process and prevent floor damage.
Fill a bucket with 1 gallon hot water, 29.6ml. liquid or powder dish detergent, and 29.6ml. chlorine or oxygen bleach.
Dip an all-purpose nylon brush into the bucket, saturating the brush slightly.
Scrub the brush over the fireplace stones, working from top to bottom. Use enough liquid that it scrubs into the stones but does not run down the fireplace in large amounts.
Continue across the fireplace, keeping all of the stones wet as you clean to prevent the soot from drying back onto the stones.
Discard the cleaner and rinse out the bucket. Fill the bucket with plain hot water.
Swish a rag in the water, twist out the rag and wipe it over the fireplace stones to remove the lifted soot.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for