If you've got an active family, polyester fibre (or microfiber) furniture is for you. Polyester fibre is a fabric woven from microscopic fibres that are naturally water and stain-resistant. Spills simply bead up on the soft, comfortable fabric, making cleanup a snap. Polyester fibre furniture comes in a variety of colours and styles, usually sturdily made to hold up to normal wear and tear. It is lint and dust free, making it a good choice for those with allergies.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Lint brush
- Clean, white cloths
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tsp rubbing alcohol or product specifically made for cleaning microfiber
Vacuum the polyester fibre furniture weekly with an upholstery attachment. Lift the cushions and vacuum underneath them.
Remove occasional dirt or lint by rolling a lint brush over the polyester fibre furniture.
Blot up liquid spills with a clean cloth immediately before they soak into the furniture.
Pour 1/4 cup baking soda on pet or urine stains after blotting them. Wait 20 minutes and vacuum to remove odours.
Treat oil-based stains with a cleaner specifically made for polyester fibre furniture or pour 1 tsp isopropyl alcohol on a clean cloth. Dab the alcohol on the oil stain (don't rub) and blot with a clean cloth. Repeat if necessary.
Tips and warnings
- Repeated exposure to water, detergent and fabric softener will reduce the polyester fibre furniture's natural water and stain-resistance. Don't machine wash your furniture or allow water to soak into the fabric.
- If the fabric feels hard after you've cleaned it, brush it with a soft brush or old toothbrush.
- Hire a professional cleaner to steam clean your polyester fibre furniture at least annually.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for