A swing chair can be hung from an indoor ceiling to add an interesting piece of furniture to a room. A swing chair adds a peaceful place for a rest with the relaxing motion of a swing. If not mounted properly, the swing chair can full and result in injuries, damage to the chair and damage to the surrounding furniture.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Stud finder (or hammer and finishing nail)
- Tape measure
- 1/8-inch drill bit
- Large ceiling hook
Locate a joist in the ceiling with a stud finder in the area where the swing chair will be hung. A joist can also be located by tapping the ceiling gently with a hammer until you hear a solid, rather than hollow, sound. If using the tapping method to locate a joist, tap a small finishing nail into the ceiling to locate both edges of the joist.
Mark the location for the edges of the joist with a pencil.
Measure the width of the joist and divide by two.
Draw a mark on the ceiling for the ceiling hook by using the result from the last step and measuring from either side edge of the joist.
Insert a 1/8-inch drill bit into a drill. Drill a hole into the centre of the joist at the location of the mark made in the last step.
Insert a large ceiling hook into the predrilled hole and turn clockwise. When the hook is too tight to turn by hand, place a screwdriver horizontally in the hook and use the leverage of the screwdriver to turn the hook until all of the threads are beyond the ceiling and in the joist.
Hang the swing chair on the hook by the hook or rope of the swing chair.
Tips and warnings
- Check the load-bearing limit of the chosen ceiling hook to be sure it will hold at least 22.7 Kilogram more than the expected maximum weight of people who will be using the swing chair.
- Do not rotate the hook in the ceiling to align the swing chair or it will loosen the grip of the joist and threads on the hook. If there is not an adjustment on the chair, place the chair on the hook and tighten the hook until the chair is facing the desired direction.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for