A luxurious fabric, velvet comes in different types, depending on the cut of the fabric, the direction of the cut and the material of which it is made. A velvet curtain usually uses a cut velvet or a crushed velvet. Cleaning velvet needs extra care, because the wrong handling can result in permanent damage to the fabric. Professional cleaning is best for velvet curtains, but you can also clean it at home.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Brush or vacuum cleaner
- Washing up liquid
- Spray bottle
- Paper towel or soft cloth
- Dry cleaning products
- Velvet board
- Fabric guard (optional)
- Steam cleaner (optional)
Brush the velvet using a brush with firm bristles such as a hairbrush, or vacuum the curtain to get rid of dirt.
Mix a small amount of washing up liquid with water, pour the solution into a spray bottle, and test the solution on the back of the curtain. If it does not damage the fabric, spray the washing up liquid solution on any stains on the curtain to remove them. Rub the stained area gently in the direction of the pile until the stain disappears. Blot the fabric dry using a paper towel or a soft cloth.
Use dry cleaning products on the curtain. If the curtain is small enough to fit in the dryer, use a dry cleaning kit with cleaning sheets and plastic bags. Place the curtain with the dry cleaning sheet into the plastic bag, then tumble it in the dryer. If the curtain is too large, apply a dry cleaning solution spray on the curtain. Using your hands, wipe gently in the direction of the pile to smooth any wrinkles and maintain its appearance. Follow the directions on the product labels. Do not dry clean the curtain if the care instructions specifically say not to.
Hang the velvet to air dry completely.
Iron the velvet using a protective velvet board only if the cleaning directions allow ironing.
Tips and warnings
- Apply fabric guard on your velvet curtain to protect it from dirt so it needs less cleaning.
- You might be able to use a steam cleaner on your velvet curtains, depending on the type of velvet.
- Whenever spills occur, blot the spill dry with a paper towel or a soft cloth immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for