Speaker wires running across the floor or along the wall can ruin the appearance of a home theatre as well as present a hazard. One false step and a foot can get snagged under a wire, causing potential injury or, at best, a speaker yanked from its mounting and thrown to the floor. Rather than deal with a tangle of speaker wires for the home theatre, try hiding the wires behind a wall to create a clean, hazard-free installation. A fish tape tool can get the job done.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cordless power drill with 1/2-inch drill bit
- Fish tape
- Speaker wire
Turn off the electricity to the home theatre room by shutting down the circuit breaker.
Make a pencil mark on the wall behind the entertainment centre or media rack where the speaker wire will enter the wall behind the receiver, then place a second pencil mark on the wall where the wire will exit to connect with a speaker.
Open a 1/2-inch diameter hole in the wall at the two pencil marks, using the cordless drill.
Push the tip of the fish tape into the first hole, then extend the metal tape into the wall by pulling it off the reel, guiding the tip toward the second hole.
Grab the loop at the end of the fish tape when it can be seen behind the second hole, using the pencil or a drill bit to catch the loop, and pull it out of the wall.
Run one end of the speaker wire through the loop and tie it to the fish tape with an overhand knot.
Retrieve the fish tape back through the wall to the first hole, pulling along the speaker wire until both can be removed from the wall.
Tips and warnings
- Faceplates to cover the two holes in the wall are available at stereo and hardware stores. These are optional since the two holes may be obscured by the speaker and media rack or entertainment centre.
- Do not turn on the power to the room until all tools are removed from the holes in the wall.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for