Gun safes are a wonderful idea for keeping and storing all your guns in one secure spot. If the safe itself is not secure, though, it can give a thief the opportunity to walk off with multiple firearms at one time. A home doesn’t have to look like Fort Knox for a gun safe to be secured against being broken into or worse, stolen altogether. With minimal effort, you can secure your gun safe against theft.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Power drill with wood and concrete bits
- Wrench set
- Sheet metal strips
Place the safe where easy access to the back and sides is denied. For example, a corner location prevents access from the back and one side. Using something heavy and bulky, such as a refrigerator or washer and dryer, on the other side would hamper anyone trying to move the safe or use power tools. The more cramped the area is around the safe, the better.
Bolt the safe to the floor using the predrilled floor holes. Make sure the bolts go into either concrete or floor joists. Use a steel backing strip under the bolt head to prevent the head from being stripped through the bolt hole by a power jack. Some safes have predrilled holes in the back so they can be semipermanently attached to a wall. Bolting a safe to the wall studs will help ensure no one can move the safe without a great deal of work.
Fill the safe floor with heavy objects, which will keep its centre of gravity low. Storing ammunition and other heavy material on the floor of the safe prevents it from easily tipping over onto a dolly.
Install a fire alarm directly over the safe. Any drilling or cutting that a thief would do will most likely create enough heat and smoke to set off any alarm.
Tips and warnings
- Mount smaller gun safes to walls or heavy objects to prevent them from walking away.
- If mounting a safe to the floor or wall, use bolts of sufficient length to ensure a solid, stable connection.
- Check your location to ensure it can handle the continued weight of the safe.
- If mounting to the floor or wall, do not drill into electrical wiring or water or gas pipes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for