Safe and natural alternatives to harsh household cleaners usually require a lot of hard work and strenuous scrubbing to match the effectiveness of chemical cleaners. For many people the work involved with using a natural cleaner simply isn't worth it, and they opt to use chemicals, which fill their house with potentially hazardous fumes. But there is another option. Homemade cleaners that use the power of enzymes to effectively clean surfaces and break up stains are a powerful alternative to chemical cleaners and will leave behind only a clean, citrus smell.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 litre plastic bottle
- 100 grams of brown sugar
- 1 litre of water
- 300 grams (total) of lemon and orange scraps
Pour 100 grams of brown sugar into a two-liter plastic bottle.
Cut the lemon and orange scraps into small enough pieces to fit through the mouth of the bottle, then place them inside.
Pour one litre of tap water into the bottle.
Tightly screw on the cap of the bottle so no liquid can spill out of it.
Shake the bottle for 30 seconds or until all the brown sugar has dissolved and the ingredients have been thoroughly mixed.
Write the date onto the bottle with a sharpie. The ingredients will take three months to ferment so it is important that you have the exact date you created this solution on the bottle.
After three months the enzyme cleaner will be ready. Simply add half a cup of enzyme cleaner to a litre of water and mix thoroughly; then use the solution as you would any other household cleaner.
Tips and warnings
- This same recipe can be expanded to make any amount of enzyme cleaner as long as the ratios remain in tact.
- Numerous times during the fermentation process you will notice the bottle starting to bulge slightly. This is due to the oxygen that is created during the fermentation process. It is important that you open the cap to allow the oxygen to escape and then close it again. Otherwise the pressure will build, and the bottle could burst.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for