Painting on fabric can produce beautiful art and fun craft projects. There are many different types of fabric paint to choose from, but most are water-based. Fortunately, if you accidentally spill some fabric paint onto your carpet, water-based paint is relatively easy to wash out. It’s important to keep the paint bottle label nearby, as it will instruct you how to clean the specific product you are using.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cleaning cloths
- Liquid dishwashing detergent
- Rubbing alcohol
Scrape up the excess paint with a spoon or something similar. Blot the stain with a clean cloth to remove as much excess paint as possible.
Mix 1 tbsp of liquid dishwashing detergent with 1 to 2 cups of cold water.
Dip a clean cloth into the detergent solution and sponge it onto the carpet stain. Blot the stain until all the solution is absorbed into the carpet. Keep blotting until the stain is removed.
Dip a clean cloth into cold water and blot the stained area to remove the detergent solution from the carpet. Blot the area dry.
Apply a small amount of rubbing alcohol (add about 1 tbsp at a time) to the stained area if the detergent solution doesn’t work.
Tips and warnings
- Treat paint stains as soon as possible. Once the paint dries, it can be very difficult to remove. To tackle a dried paint stain, begin by pouring water on it. Scrub the carpet well with a toothbrush to try to remove as much of the dried paint as possible. Let the carpet dry and then vacuum. It's not guaranteed that you'll be able to fully remove the stain.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for