Clear casting resin is made of a polyurethane material. It's often used to embed or encapsulate an object in a hard piece of plastic, and with it casters can make pieces of jewellery, beads, sculpture reproductions and other home items or gift ware. The casting resin is mixed one-to-one by volume and it sets at room temperature. A job that requires clear casting resin shouldn't take you more than a day and a half to complete, and that's accounting for drying times.
Prepare in a work area that has a temperature between 18. and 24 degrees C and a level work table. Place a tablecloth over the table, put on your apron and your safety gloves and glasses.
Apply your mould release to the flexible mould by pouring it into the mould or by using a paint brush to put it just on the surface. Allow the mould to dry for an hour.
Combine one batch of the casting resin and the catalyst. Follow the directions indicated on the resin, but you are going to need two equal but separated batches of the mixture. You will only need enough resin to fill half of your mould with each of these batches.
Pour the mixed casting resin into the mould. Only fill the mould half full. Wait for 30 minutes; the mixture will become gel-like. Place your embedding item into the mixture and gently press it down.
Prepare the second batch of the clear casting resin mixture and fill the other half of the mould. Do not overfill the mould. Wait 30 minutes.
Apply your surface curing agent to the surface of the clear casting resin. This sprayed agent will cure the resin and ensure it stays clear.
Wait 24 hours before you remove the casting.
Keep the resin in a cool, dry place. Do not let moisture contaminate it. Use the resin in a well-ventilated area. Wipe a skin area that has come in contact with the resin with isopropyl alcohol, then wash the area with soap and water.
Tips and warnings
- Keep the resin in a cool, dry place. Do not let moisture contaminate it.
- Use the resin in a well-ventilated area.
- Wipe a skin area that has come in contact with the resin with isopropyl alcohol, then wash the area with soap and water.