The vast majority of grave headstones are made from granite, which is a natural stone. Because headstones are constantly outdoors, in all types of weather, they are prone to damage and plant growth. One of the most prolific plants found on granite headstones is moss. While some people appreciate the organic look of soft green moss growing over the base of a headstone, others want to permanently remove it in a way that will not damage the stone.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/2 cup bleach
- 1 gallon water
- Soft cloths
- Nylon scrub brush
Remove as much of the moss from the surface of the gravestone as you can by hand. Mix together 1 gallon of water and 1/2 cup of bleach in a plastic bucket. Dunk a soft cloth into the bleach mixture and squeeze out a bit of the excess.
Scrub away the rest of the moss and any coloured residue with the bleach-and-water cloth. Dip a nylon-bristled scrub brush into the bleach water. Scrub the surface of the granite gently if more power is needed to remove all of the moss.
Soak a clean cloth in plain water and wipe down the surface of the clean granite. Carefully remove all of the debris and bleach water residue. Dispose of any leftover bleach water responsibly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for