Like many innovators, Alfred Dunhill established a business empire by changing his products and procedures with the changing times. From styles that enabled gentlemen to smoke while driving the very first automobiles to distribution strategies during the World Wars that took his pipes to all corners of the world, Dunhill established a reputation of quality and endurance in his pipes. The wood used in these pipes is resilient, but with constant use and handling can fade over time. Refinishing a pipe can restore its look to the original polish and shine.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Cotton gloves
- Pipe cleaners
- Polishing cloth
- Pipe polishes
Wear cotton gloves when refinishing your Dunhill pipe; the oils from your skin can exacerbate fading problems and can cause swirls or other problems in your finish.
Make sure that the pipe is completely clean before beginning the restoration process. The bowl must be completely empty of ash or tobacco, and the interior should be clean as well. Run pipe cleaners through your pipe if necessary.
Wipe down the stem and bowl of your pipe (interior and exterior) with a pipe polishing cloth. The cloth will remove surface dirt and dust, fingerprints and other such contaminants.
Add one to two drops of pipe polish to the polishing cloth. Work in small circles across the pipe's surface, buffing to remove oils and dirt and to restore the pipe's colour and shine. Add more polish if necessary until you have polished the bowl.
Polish the stem and mouthpiece with area-specific polish. Because each piece is made of different material, it has different polishes. Continue until all areas have been polished.
Buff the whole pipe with a clean polishing cloth to remove any excess polish. Store your Dunhill pipe in its proper place before removing your gloves.
Tips and warnings
- Wearing protective gloves when handling or smoking the pipe will help to slow the fading of the colour.
- The Dunhill company produces polishing cloths, stem polish, mouthpiece polish and briar polish. Use these product-specific products on your Dunhill pipe for the best results. Read and follow all specific product instructions, as Dunhill product specifics can vary from other products.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for