Unsightly toxic mould causes numerous respiratory problems. Mold proliferates on almost any surface it comes into contact with, and thrives in warm, moist conditions. When cleaning plaster walls contaminated with mould, take proper precautions to prevent inhaling and spreading the spores to other areas.
Things you need
Open any windows and turn on a fan facing outside if possible. This directs airborne mould spores out of the room.
Turn off the air conditioning while cleaning to prevent spreading the mould throughout the building.
Put on a respirator, rubber gloves and safety goggles before cleaning.
Fill a bucket with one gallon hot water and 1/2 cup all-purpose cleaner. Dip a sponge or cloth into the water and wring it out.
Scrub the mouldy plaster walls thoroughly with the sponge or cloth. Empty and refill the bucket with new soapy water when necessary.
Empty the bucket and rinse it out with hot water. Fill it with warm water and use new sponges or cloths to rinse the walls.
Fill a bucket with 1 1/2 cup bleach and one gallon of warm water. Dip a new sponge or cloth into the bleach solution.
Wipe the plaster walls with the bleach solution. Thoroughly soak the walls to kill all of the mould spores.
Air-dry the walls for six to eight hours. Keep the area ventilated and free of any excess moisture.
Dispose of or clean any materials and clothing used while cleaning the mould.
- Take frequent breaks for fresh air while cleaning mould. Use a humidifier to speed up the drying process and prevent future mould. Clean or throw away any porous materials that have been contaminated or damaged by mould.
Tips and Warnings
- Take frequent breaks for fresh air while cleaning mould.
- Use a humidifier to speed up the drying process and prevent future mould.
- Clean or throw away any porous materials that have been contaminated or damaged by mould.
Things you need
- Fans (optional)
- All-purpose cleaner
- Particle respirator
- Rubber gloves
- Safety goggles