Staining a wood fence is a rewarding process, but it can be difficult to find the correct shade of stain in the hardware store, especially if you are attempting to match the stain to something previously stained. In these instances, it is helpful to create your own stain at home. You can choose the exact colour, or blend several colours to create a stain that will suit your project.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Measuring cup
- White vinegar
- Boiled linseed oil
- Linseed oil-based artists' paint in the desired colour for the stain
- Paint stick
Measure 4 cups of white vinegar in a bucket.
Add 7/8 cup (207ml.) of boiled linseed oil to the white vinegar. Put gloves on to protect your hands.
Add 1/2 cup (118ml.) of linseed, oil-based artists' paint in the shade you would like to stain the wood to the mixture in the bucket.
Stir the mixture with the stick until it is evenly blended.
Apply the wood stain to the wood as you desire.
Tips and warnings
- If you are blending several colours of artists' paint to achieve the colour you desire for your wood stain, it is a good idea to mix them ahead of time, before beginning to mix your stain.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for