Many children, and even many adults, enjoy the sight of carefree bubbles dancing on the wind. A homemade, wind-powered bubble machine can bring hours of entertainment, whether you're dancing in the bubble stream or watching those so inclined. Set up a wind-powered bubble machine at your child's next birthday party or your next family picnic for an enjoyable decoration/activity combination.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Thin plastic circle, 6 inches in diameter
- Craft knife
- Plastic rod, ¼ in diameter, 9 inches long
- Super glue
- Propeller for model aeroplane, 6 inches long
- Plastic container, at least 3 inches deep and 5 inches wide
- 1 gallon water
- ¾ cup liquid dish soap
- 3 tablespoons of glycerine
- Large house fan
Use the craft knife to cut eight evenly spaced circles, about 1 inch in diameter, around the edge of the thin plastic circle.
Sand the circles smooth.
Cut a hole in the centre of the plastic circle.
Put the plastic rod through the hole in the centre of the plastic circle. Position the circle 1 inch from one end of the rod.
Glue the rod in place with the super glue.
Glue the model aeroplane propeller on the end of the rod farthest from the plastic circle.
Cut a small indentation in two opposite sides of the plastic container.
Place the plastic rod in the indentations.
Mix the water, liquid dish soap and glycerine.
Fill the plastic container with about 2 inches of the dish soap mixture.
Place the fan behind the bubble machine and turn it on.
Tips and warnings
- Most of the parts of this bubble machine are adjustable. Experiment to find the perfect machine that performs to your specifications.
- Experiment with the number of holes and the size of the holes. More holes may create more bubbles, but smaller holes may result in a wheel that turns faster.
- Experiment with the proportions of the ingredients in the bubble solution to find the mix that works best in your conditions. More water will make a thinner solution that creates more bubbles at a time, while more glycerine will make larger, longer-lasting bubbles.
- Use caution when using sharp objects. Do not let children use sharp objects.
- Keep the electrical workings of the fan dry at all times. If the bubble solution spills, turn the fan off immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for