Track lighting is used to brighten up an entire room or to highlight specific areas. It is often added to a room's existing lights to direct the visitor's attention to items like collectibles or paintings. Because the light fixtures are mounted overhead, changing the bulbs in track lighting can be a challenge, especially if your home has vaulted ceilings.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Replacement light bulb
- Ladder (if needed)
Shut off the light switch. Place a ladder under the light fixture if it is too high to reach.
Find the locking switch on the top of the light fixture. Move the switch to the unlocked position and rotate the fixture counterclockwise until it releases and you can pull it down.
Remove the plastic ring around the light bulb. Push down on the light bulb as you rotate it counterclockwise. Remove and discard the old bulb when it comes free from the light fixture.
Insert the new light bulb and turn it clockwise to tighten it. Replace the plastic ring around the bulb.
Insert the light fixture back into the track and tighten it by rotating it clockwise. Move the locking switch back to the locked position. Turn on the light switch to test the bulb.
Tips and warnings
- Wear sturdy gloves when handling light bulbs to protect your hands in case the glass breaks.
- Check your local regulations before throwing any old light bulbs in the trash. Some areas may require the bulbs to be sealed in a plastic bag or taken to a recycling centre.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for