Recycling materials instead of letting them sit in a landfill has led to the development of new technologies to deal with almost any type of material. According to Seawolf Design, fibreglass insulation and pressed panels used to be difficult to reuse but now can be used in many ways. Most homeowners encounter fibreglass material when removing and replacing old insulation, or in the form of corrugated panels. Both of these materials can be remade into boats, spray insulation, and many other items.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plastic garbage bags
- Heavy work gloves
- Safety goggles
Call your city or county waste management office. Ask if any of the recycling centres in your area accept fibreglass insulation.
Contact the state environmental protection department and ask about hazardous waste recycling. The United States Environmental Protection Agency website explains that each state has at least one office that can help you find a proper recycling outlet for your fibreglass.
Find a company or association that specialises in recycling fibreglass. The experts at Fiberglass World maintain a list of such organisations from all around the world.
Wrap the fibreglass insulation or panelling in heavy plastic garbage bags and seal them with duct tape. Wear work gloves, safety goggles and a respirator while handling insulation to avoid eye or skin irritation.
Salvage and reuse the fibreglass panels or insulation. If the batts of fibreglass insulation are still intact, they may be able to be used again as they are. Broken pieces of fibreglass panelling can be reused for smaller projects, such as a miniature greenhouse.
Tips and warnings
- Many waste management offices hold monthly or yearly hazardous waste clean-up days, where homeowners can bring their hazardous waste in for processing by professionals.
- Do not work with fibreglass insulation without the proper safety gear. Inhaled fibreglass particles can lead to permanent lung irritation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for