Python Aquarium vacuums have changed aquarium tank cleaning from a tedious drudge to a simple and quick procedure. However, the Python brand vacuums are quite expensive. Luckily, it is easy to make one of your own, relatively cheaply and with items that can be purchased at your local fish store or hardware store.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Faucet adaptor and washers
- Venturi Super Pump, or similar
- Shut-off valve
- Garden hose, 50 feet
- On/off switch
- Female adaptor
- Gravel cleaning tube with tubing
Screw the faucet adaptor into the top of the Super Pump. This is the intake valve and will be attached to the faucet.
Connect the output end, or the part sticking out, to your hose. This is where the water will come into and come out of the pump.
Screw the shut-off valve onto the other end of your hose.
Screw the female adaptor onto the shut-off valve.
Attach the gravel vacuum hose onto the end of the female adaptor by placing the nozzle into the hose and slipping the tightener down over the hose. This gives it a firm connection with no leaks.
Tips and warnings
- Waterbed drain/fill kits contain the pumps and faucet adaptors, and they are readily available.
- A gravel cleaner and hose can be purchased at a local fish store.
- Test your equipment for leaks before using to clean the aquarium.
- Use a clean hose to prevent contaminating your tank.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for