A toner cartridge contains the powdered toner ink required by laser printers. After printing thousands of pages, your laser printer will usually begin to run out of toner and you will need to replace the toner cartridge. Although every laser printer has its own specific design and individual instructions for changing a toner cartridge, basic designs make the process similar even between different printer brands. As you prepare to replace a toner cartridge, remove the sealing tape from the toner cartridge before placing it into the laser printer.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Remove the toner cartridge from the packaging and ascertain that the sealing tape is properly in place in the toner cartridge. You should see a short, plastic tab sticking out from the side of the toner cartridge--this is the sealing tape.
Shake the toner cartridge gently back and forth five or six times while holding the cartridge horizontally.
Grasp the tab of the sealing tape and pull it straight out from the toner cartridge in one gentle and fluid motion. Continue pulling the sealing tape until it comes out completely--it may be over a foot long.
Discard the sealing tape carefully. If you see toner coating the sealing tape, take care not to disturb the toner as you discard the tape.
Insert the toner cartridge into the printer following the manufacturer's instructions.
Tips and warnings
- The sealing tape protects the drum of the toner cartridge during shipping.
- Consult specific instructions for your laser printer, if possible, before installing the new toner cartridge to ensure you do it correctly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for