In veterinary medicine, the drug tylosin is an antibiotic that may be used to treat diarrhoea associated with a bacterial infection or chronic diarrhoea caused by colitis. Colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine, is an inflammatory bowel disease that can present with the symptom of diarrhoea in cats. This drug is available in a powder or injectable form. However, veterinarians may prescribe the powder form to treat cats. For a cat owner, it also may be easier to use tylosin in this form.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Tylosin powder prescription
- Canned cat food
Measure out the right dosage amount of tylosin with a teaspoon. Follow the explicit instructions that come with the medication and use it as prescribed by your veterinarian. The dosage is dependent on cat weight and/or the medical reason for its use. The typical dosage for cats can vary between 2.5 mg to 5 mg per pound and should be administered every 12 hours, according to PetPlace.com.
Add the correct dosage of the medication directly into canned cat food and feed it to your pet twice a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
Inform the veterinarian if you have problems giving the medicine to your pet. This medication can have a bitter taste that your pet may not like. The doctor can then instruct the pharmacist to encapsulate the prescribed medication to facilitate its administration.
Check for signs of tylosin side effects in your cat. At the start of treatment, some pets may experience vomiting and the diarrhoea can get worse. Other pets may have allergic reaction to this medication and develop symptoms that can include hives, seizures and shock. Please note that, although possible, severe side effects and toxicity are rare.
Take your pet to the veterinarian if you notice any symptoms of an allergic reaction or there is no sign of improvement after using the medication for the prescribed length of time.
Tips and warnings
- Tylosin also may be prescribed for the treatment of infections in the respiratory tract.
- The powder form of tylosin is sold under the brand name Tylan.
- Alternately, you can mix the tylosin with water and give it orally along with some food to your cat. However, prepare the mixture every three days to ensure its freshness and effectiveness.
- Follow the veterinarian's advice and instructions on dosage.
- This medication may not be safe for animals that have allergic reactions to antibiotics like erythromycin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for