Since 2000, all banks in Bulgaria are private companies, most of which are foreign owned. You do not have to be a resident to open a bank account in Bulgaria. Although all banks offer a full range of banking facilities, it is easier and quicker to open a bank account in Bulgaria with one of the larger foreign banks. They are used to dealing with overseas clients and are more likely to have staff that can speak English or other foreign languages.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Proof of address
Apply in person to open a bank account in Bulgaria. This is the best way to get a local account. Choose a bank whose name is familiar. Decide the banking services you require, such as Internet access, telephone banking, checking facilities or debit card.
Take a passport and proof of address. Any form of utility bill is good. There is no charge to open a bank account in Bulgaria. You can open an account in local currency, euros or both.
Complete the application form. Make a small deposit in the currency of your chosen account. Your account will be operational in a few days. Checks and cards can be collected from your branch or mailed to you.
Tips and warnings
- Bank opening times vary. Usual business times are weekdays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Check with your bank. Internet banking is relatively new. Not all Internet facilities are available. Large foreign banks are best if you require Internet access. Be patient: Banking in Bulgaria can take considerable time. To learn more about the banking system in Bulgaria, see the link in the Resources section
- Banks in Bulgaria generally charge for almost everything. This can include withdrawing money. Make sure you know the costs before opening an account, as they vary considerably.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for