Those who have family and friends living overseas in Australia want reliable methods for sending gifts to their loved ones. One option is to buy a gift in the U.S. and ship it to Australia, but certain items will not pass customs inspection, and postage can be costly. Using the Internet to send gifts to Australia is a viable alternative because you can make online purchases from websites that ship within Australia.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Go to gifts2thedoor.com.au, and click on the newborn baby tab to find a wide selection of appropriate gifts for infants.
Shop at abcnappycakes.com.au to send a diaper cake to a mother having a baby shower in Australia.
Visit eBay Australia to select baby gifts for new moms. Browse the website to discover the large selection of baby car seats, blankets, plush toys and baby car seats.
Send Baby Gifts
Visit petals.com.au to send a loved one a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Choose a specific florist for the city that your relative of friend lives in such as Melbourne, Perth or Sydney.
Search the site au.direct2florist.com to find a local Australian florist.
Send synthetic flowers to a wedding using the site artificialweddingbouquets.com.au, which is a good alternative for people who are worried about real flowers wilting before delivery.
Visit bookworm.com.au to browse from a wide selection of books.
Purchase books on the website buyaustralian.com/books.htm, which has many discounted books.
Visit Borders Australia to find great prices on online book, which is offering special incentives to buy books on their website.
Send a gift token to your Australian friend using the site wishlist.com.au. Go to the drop-down menu on the site to select the price range of the gift card, which the recipient can use to purchase merchandise on the website.
Give your friend an Amazon gift card that goes directly to their e-mail address.
Use moneygram.com to send cash to a loved one in Australia, which is ideal gift for people that would prefer to buy their gift in person.
Send Gift Cards
Tips and warnings
- Use a currency conversion calculator---at websites like xe.com/ucc or coinmill.com---to see how much you will be spending in U.S. dollars for purchases on Australian websites. Visit the Reserve Bank of Australia's website, www.rba.gov.au, to find the exchange rate between the US and the Australian dollar.
- Use sites such as paypal.com to pay for international purchases, which will protect both you and the merchant.
- Visit the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service website, www.daff.gov.au, to determine which items are not acceptable for purchase via international websites.
- Avoid using the Internet to send gifts or wire money to someone you have only met on a dating site.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for