The Mitel phone system database software is a massive and complex system that controls every feature and function of the Mitel phone system and voice mail. The administrators guide is about 300 pages in length and is full of arcane and technical procedures and information. That said, the software is organised in a highly hierarchical way using a familiar Windows Explorer type interface with drill-down topics on the left and detail information on the right. Anyone familiar with this interface should have no problems finding his way through the system.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mitel phone system database
- A login with administrator rights
- The name of your e-mail server
- Your e-mail login information
Start the system by clicking on the software icon. Log in using the administrators user name and password. Identify the two main hierarchy trees on the left, System and Voice Processor.
Click on the plus next to Voice Processor to expand that section. Beneath that expand Devices. Expand Mailboxes.
Find your mailbox number, which should be the same as your extension number. Expand that section. Click on the section labelled Unified Messaging.
Click on the value of the item labelled Unified Messaging Level on the right side of the window. If you are not able to change this value, you do not have a license for this feature.
Change the value to Forward or Forward & Copy as desired. Below that, click on Email Server and fill in the name of your e-mail server on the right. Click on Email Account User Name and enter your user name in this field.
Right-click on the text box next to Email Account Password and then click on Edit Password. This brings up a dialogue box where you enter your e-mail password twice for confirmation. Exit the system and test the results. If that doesn't work, you will need to configure the system.
Restart the software and log in. Expand the Voice Processor section. Click on the Email Gateway entry on the left.
Click on the value next to Email System and select SMTP/POP3 or MAPI as appropriate. Follow the same steps as above to enter the name of the Email Server, the Email Username, and the Email Password.
Exit the system to save the changes. Test with a voice mail. If you still don't get an e-mail with your voice mail attached, you will need to contact Mitel service. It is either a licensing issue, a server issue or a communication issue.
Tips and warnings
- Before beginning the troubleshooting steps, check with your Mitel account representative. Depending on your version of the phone switch and software, you may need a special license to implement this feature. This feature is part of what they call unified messaging.
- Always remember when you are in the phone switch database software that this is a live system and any change affect the phone system immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for