If you or someone else has made it a habit to smoke in the house, everything that the smoke touches will retain the odour. If your doll collection has been exposed to cigarette smoke, that odour can become trapped in your dolls' hair, making it smell unpleasant long after the cigarette has been snuffed out. This unpleasant smell can lessen your dolls' value in addition to being a problem to have around if you enjoy clean air. Removing the cigarette smoke smell is beneficial to your health as well as the value of your dolls.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Mild dish soap
- Plastic bag
- Baking soda
- Paper bag or box
Remove the wig if from your doll's head if you can. If you cannot, you will simply need to use a little more caution to get the hair clean.
Wash the wig with a mild dish soap and warm water. If the hair is still attached to the doll, wrap the doll in a plastic bag with only the hair hanging out to help protect it from unnecessary moisture.
Rinse the hair well with clean warm water to remove the soap.
Place the doll or the wig in a cool dry place to air dry on a clean towel.
Pour baking soda into an old clean sock and tie the opening closed. Place the baking soda sock in a large paper bag or box along with the doll or the wig and close it up.
Leave the doll or the wig in the bag or box with the baking soda for 24 to 48 hours. The baking soda will help to absorb the odour.
Inspect your doll or the wig when you remove it from the box or bag. If there is any lingering smell, change out the baking soda and repeat the process until the smell is gone.
Tips and warnings
- Coffee grounds or activated charcoal are acceptable and effective substitutes for baking soda.
- If the doll's hair isn't washable or you aren't certain that it is, consult with a professional collector or the manufacturer for specific instructions on how to approach the issue.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for