A good gun rest can make the difference between zeroing in a gun properly and having it shoot off-target. Many gun owners are also DIYs and would rather avoid paying for a rest. Fortunately, the basic materials to make four very good gun rests usually are tucked away in the back of a closet. An old pair of jeans can provide two medium sized and two small rests.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- One pair of straight legged denim, or other heavy material, jeans
- Several gallons of washed sand
- Sewing scissors
- Heavy gauge needle
Cut one leg off the jeans toapproximately 12 to 14 inches between the knee and cuff. If the cuff is frayed, then cut above the frayed portion to give you a tube of denim material about 12 to 14 inches long.
Turn the tube inside-out and use a whipstitch to sew one end of the tube closed. Turn the tube right-side out.
Place the tube in a stable area and fill it with the washed sand. Stop filling every few inches and shake down the tube to ensure the sand is settling. Stop about two inches from the top of the tube.
Fold the top inch of material into the tube to create a double-layer edge around the tube. Press the top together and whipstitch it firmly into place. You may have to adjust the amount of sand in the tube to ensure that the top closes completely and is leak-free after being stitched.
Tips and warnings
- Repeat the steps for the remaining material from the calf and both thigh sections of the jeans to complete all four rests.
- It is important to maintain a steady amount of sand filling the tube from bottom to top to ensure a balanced, even rest.
- For better strength, an interior bag made the same way and filled with the sand can be placed inside a larger bag.
- These rests also are appropriate for photography.
- The rests also can be filled with rice or beans but organic material will eventually break down.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for