You may not know you have mice in your home until you begin to smell the pungent odour of mouse urine. Getting rid of the mice is often not as difficult as removing the odour they leave behind. There are several home remedies to remove the smell of mouse urine, but one of the most effective is an enzyme-based cleaning solution. Enzyme-based cleaning solutions chemically break down the urine, instead of simply masking the smell.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Rubber gloves
- Enzyme-based cleaning solution
- White distilled vinegar
Search for the source of the mouse urine odour. It may be tough to locate, as mice can hide in a variety of places, including the rafters.
Put on rubber gloves before you begin cleaning. Mice carry diseases, so you'll want to protect yourself from coming into contact with the mouse urine.
Spray an enzyme-based cleaning solution directly on the mouse urine, saturating the area. Allow the solution to set on the spot overnight. The enzyme-based solution needs ample time to break down the natural enzymes that are causing the odour.
Repeat steps 1 to 3 if you still notice the mouse urine odour. Check other areas for spots you may have initially missed, and treat those areas.
Tips and warnings
- If the mouse urine odour is lingering, it is possible there are spots you were unable to see and treat. Place a bowl of white distilled vinegar in the general area of the smell. The vinegar will help to absorb the odour.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for