Dying your hair a dark colour can be a big change. Often, when people colour their hair the new hair colour is an enhancement to the person's appearance and can even be a confidence-booster. But if the dark hair dye used ends up not looking very good, you may find yourself wishing you hadn't coloured your hair at all. Salons offer costly hair dye removal processing but you can remove dark hair dye from your hair, at home, using hot oil treatments.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Plastic wrap
- Clean towel
- Clarifying shampoo
Pour 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil into a bowl and heat it up in the microwave for one minute. If the olive oil is too hot to touch, allow it to cool for a minute or two.
Rub the heated olive oil into your hair, starting at the scalp and working it down to the ends. Make sure to apply your hot oil treatment to the underside of your hair. Coat your hair heavily with the hot oil treatment.
Wrap plastic wrap around your head to keep the heat in and prevent the olive oil from dripping all over the place. Follow by wrapping a clean towel around your head. Leave the olive oil on your hair for 30 minutes so it can penetrate the hair and strip the chemically processed colour from your hair.
Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo. Clarifying shampoos are also known to strip hair dye from your hair so this will help remove any remaining dark hair dye from your hair. Let the clarifying shampoo sit on your hair for a couple minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
Tips and warnings
- Always colour a test strand before dying all your hair. This way, if you don't like the hair colour you won't have an entire head full of it to remove.
- Hot oil treatments from the store can also be used, if you prefer.
- Ensure the hot oil treatment is hot but not so hot that it will burn your scalp.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for