Starting a career as a male model in England can prove challenging and consume time and energy, but the job can also equate to financial rewards. Modelling requires physical attributes and skills, depending on the category chosen. Male models in England can work in fashion, commercial, promotional and glamour modelling. Wannabe male models also need to have a character that will ensure success; hardworking, strong-willed, patient, outgoing, confident and resilient individuals succeed in this field.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Plain T-shirt
- Tape measure
- Photo printer
- Photo paper
Dress in jeans and a plain T-shirt to take snapshots of yourself using your camera. Use a blank background. Take head shots, as well as topless and full-length pictures.
Take your measurements with your tape measure. Measure your collar, chest, waist, hips and inside leg. You must also know your height as well as your U.K. clothing and shoe sizes.
Consult a list of recognised modelling agencies (see link in Resources section to view a list example).
Visit the agencies' websites to identify their requirements and application processes.
Send your snapshots by e-mail if required. Print them on photo paper, using your photo printer and post them if that's the agency's application process. If agencies require a walk-in, print the pictures and bring them with you when visiting.
Find accommodation in England. Most agencies will reject your application if you are not in the country. If an agency really likes you, it might place you in a model's apartment, but this rarely occurs if no agency outside of England represents you.
Learn modelling jargon. Familiarise yourself with terms such as "composite card," "portfolio," "casting, "photo shoot," "call-back" and "booking" (see link in Resources section for definitions to some of these terms). Your agency will often use these terms and expect you to know them.
Find an Agency
Look after yourself. Your body and your face are your assets. Exercise, follow a healthy diet, avoid drugs and get enough sleep. If you don't, your agent may stop representing you.
Follow your agent's advice on hairstyle, look and attitude. Agents know the industry and will do their best to promote you effectively.
Conduct yourself professionally---show punctuality, patience, compliance, respect and focus. London offers major modelling opportunities for male models and presents a high level of competition. If you remain professional, clients will continuously book you.
Practice your catwalk, smiles and facial expressions.
Do your homework. Attend fashion shows, read fashion magazines. Know the names of designers, brands, producers and companies you might work for in the future.
Once Agency Signed
Tips and warnings
- You must always look flawless: perfect skin, clean nails and hair and fashionable clothes.
- If the agencies reject you, do not give up. Agencies might not need someone like you at the moment but might do in the future. Leave it for a few months and try again.
- Get accommodation in London or Manchester, as all agencies are centrally
- Invest in an A--Z map or a phone with a GPS.
- Approach modelling as real career; be professional, and you will be successful.
- Never pay to get into modelling; no amount of money can ensure that clients will book you, nor can even the best agent. If a modelling agency wants you, it will take you on without you having to pay. Beware of scams; many people thrive on banking on your dreams---especially in the modelling industry.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for