Unlike real hair that grows out of the scalp and is consistently producing natural oils, synthetic hair requires extra conditioning and maintenance to prevent extensions from drying out. Extensions will eventually need to be replaced, but proper care will keep them looking smooth and soft for a long time. Always use salon quality or organic shampoos and conditioners on hair extensions, because cheaper shampoos contain harsh sulphates that dry extensions. Conditioners should always be creme-based, quality conditioners that are not watered down. Never colour hair extensions, because chemicals in hair dye severely dry out extensions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Creme-based conditioner
- Organic shampoo
- Blow dryer with diffuser
Wash extensions with a salon quality or organic shampoo that won't further dry out hair. Allow the extensions to hang loose; do not scrunch, bunch, or scrub extensions, because this can cause frizziness, which also makes hair appear dry. Distribute shampoo evenly, and squeeze through extensions. Rinse.
Place thick, creme-based conditioner on the extensions, and work through the hair evenly. Rinse.
Extensions should look smooth and feel soft. If you are using a blow dryer, dry the wefted part of the extensions first, then dry hair from the ends up, and do not pull the hair. Use a blow dryer with a diffuser set on low heat for even heat distribution. Allowing hair to air-dry whenever possible is highly recommended to prolong the life of extensions.
Tips and warnings
- Allow hair to dry completely before sleeping. If you are using a bonding product, shampoo the hair, but do not use conditioners or styling products before applying extensions. Condition and style the hair after extensions are securely to the head. Use a leave-in condition to freshen extensions between washings.
- Salt build-up from perspiration can dry out extensions. Rinse and condition hair extensions after workouts or any physical labour.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for