The State Bank of India (SBI) ATM card has made life much easier for its customers. Now there is no need to go to the bank with passbooks and sign withdrawal slips or checks. You can withdraw money from any of the nationwide SBI ATM branches. You can also shop around or pay your utility bills with an SBI ATM card, instead of carrying money in your pocket. But what if the card is lost or stolen? You should immediately report it to the bank and apply for a new card.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Call the SBI helpline number as soon as you notice that your card has been misplaced, lost or stolen. Call either the toll-free number (1 800 11 22 11) or land line number (+91 80-26599990). The toll-free number is always active. Inform the helpline staff about your situation and ask them to block and deactivate your SBI ATM card.
Answer the security questions asked by the helpline staff for verification and authentication of your identity. You may be asked simple personal questions like the name of your father, the maiden name of your mother, your date of birth or your marriage date to ascertain your identity. Once your identity is authenticated, your request for blocking the SBI ATM card will be processed. The helpline staff will also provide you a system-generated unique ticket number. It is advisable to note your SBI ATM card details in your personal diary, including your card number, card-issuing SBI branch name, branch code and your SBI account number as these details will be required at the time of requesting deactivation of your lost or stolen card.
Call the SBI branch that issued the SBI ATM card to you and explain to them the loss of your card.
Write to your SBI ATM card-issuing branch, requesting them to deactivate and block your card. Use a white paper and a blue or black pen for this purpose. If you are interested in a fresh ATM card, you should mention it in your letter, too. You would be charged a new ATM card for a fee of INR 200. However, if your misplaced card resurfaces and you have not yet applied for a fresh ATM card, then you can write to the card-issuing SBI branch and request them to reactivate your blocked card.
Tips and warnings
- In case you are unable to contact the helpline or the land line of the contact centre, then you can directly walk into any SBI branch that is closest to you and report your case, followed by a placing a request for blocking your SBI ATM card. You would however, need to provide them with details such as your SBI account number, card-issuing SBI branch code, name of the branch, or your SBI ATM card number. They will process your request and get your card blocked immediately.
- Always store your ATM card in a safe spot and never leave it carelessly in your room, car or at your office.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for