Mold can be found in dark, moist areas with limited light. Molds are fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments. These fungi can grow and reproduce rapidly through small spores, which may remain airborne continually. They can survive through extreme temperatures. Some moulds can start growing at about 3.89 degrees Celsius or even less. Dealing with mould in the home should be done carefully to prevent the spores from spreading. The removal should be done as quickly as possible, as mould may pose health risks if inhaled.
Put on safety goggles, a mask and a pair of gloves. Find the area in the house where the dampness and mould is located. Locate the source of it and resolve it. Fix a leaking roof or plumbing promptly. Remove items from the room that are damp and may have mould growing on them. Place them in a big plastic bag, tie the plastic bag to prevent the spores from coming out, then discard it. Get rid of other items, such as clothing, furnishing or carpets, that are damp and mould infested.
Block off the area where the mould is present. Tape a large piece of plastic around that section to prevent the spread of spores to other non-moldly areas of the house. Keep children and other occupants of the home away from the area that is being cleaned.
Vacuum rugs, carpets and other fabric furnishings in the house thoroughly to eliminate mould spores. Wipe areas that are washable with unscented detergent or baking soda. Scrub infected areas briskly, then use a clean wet rag to wipe it. Dry the wet area immediately after cleaning.
Hire a professional trained in removing mould to inspect the home for any remaining mould spores. Prevent further mould from developing by keeping the home dry. Regularly check for sources of moisture such as leaks and fix them immediately.
The exposure to mould in the home can cause health issues. Do not delay if you suspect that there is mould in your home.
Tips and warnings
- The exposure to mould in the home can cause health issues. Do not delay if you suspect that there is mould in your home.