Perming bleached hair is possible but should never be done on the same day as bleaching. Any quality salon will not bleach or dye hair the same day they perform a perm. Do a strand test before perming hair to see how damaged the hair is. If hair passes the strand test it is safe to be permed; though waiting a minimum of two weeks is recommended between bleaching and perming. Use deep conditioners and quality, moisturising hair care products after hair has been bleached and permed as hair is now damaged.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Perm kit
- Deep conditioner
- Hair serum
- Wide-tooth comb
- Blow dryer with diffuser
To see if hair can be permed after bleaching without becoming seriously damaged or falling out, perform a strand test. This can be done one of two ways. First place a few strands of hair in a glass of water. If the strands sink to the bottom of the glass hair is damaged because it is dry and therefore soaking up the water. If it floats hair is healthy and can be permed. Also perform a strand test by placing a few strands of hair in perming solution then neutraliser and leaving for 15 minutes. If hair does not look dry and brittle after this test, it can be permed.
Perm hair after waiting at least two weeks after bleaching. Follow the instructions in the perm kit and do not wash hair for at least 24 hours.
After 24 hours or more use a shampoo and conditioner specifically made for permed hair. Since hair is also bleached look for products that say "extra moisturizing." Should hair be exceedingly damaged after perming, skip shampooing and opt for a deep conditioner, then rinse with cold water.
Once hair has been rinsed squeeze out hair and do not rub, which contributes to breakage.
Use a leave-in conditioner in damp hair and finger comb or use a wide-tooth comb. Blow drying colour-treated, permed hair is not recommended but if you must blow dry make sure it is set on cool and has a diffuser. When hair is completely dry and combed through anti-frizz serum can be added to hair to keep curls smooth.
Tips and warnings
- Don't shampoo bleached, permed hair every day; this will only make it drier. Use a deep conditioner once a week and do not shampoo ends of hair, only the scalp where hair gets oily. Do not pile hair on top of head when shampooing as this causes additional breakage and damage.
- Never perm hair the same day or a few days after bleaching. Hair will become very dry and damage if not fall out completely depending on health of hair. Refrain from using heated styling tools, which can burn or break hair off.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for