If your computer is running the Microsoft Vista operating system, some programs may experience compatibility problems. McAfee Security is one such program. If you have installed a previous version of McAfee Security Center from a CD on a computer running Vista, you won't be installing the program's updates that have since been released to fix issues between Vista and McAfee. Updating the program usually solves the issue. If, however, you have already updated McAfee and you are still experiencing problems, there's a fix for that as well.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
Close any unnecessary programs you may have open.
Locate the McAfee icon on the desktop taskbar.
Right-click the McAfee program icon.
Choose the "Updates" option from the menu.
Restart your computer after McAfee has installed updates. Open the Security Center to check for further issues. If your problem still exists, continue to Section 2.
Click the "Start" button on your task bar.
Type "Programs and Features" into the Search bar, click "Go" and then double-click the "Programs and Features" option.
Choose "McAfee Security Center" from the next window that lists all the programs on your computer and then click "Uninstall" from the top of the window.
Open your Web browser, when removal is complete, and type "http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe" into the address bar. This brings up a download dialogue box for the removal tool. Click "Save" to download and save the file, noting the destination folder.
Open the folder where the removal tool was downloaded and double-click the "MCPR" (McAfee Consumer Product Removal) file. You can also right-click the "MCPR" file to "Run as Administrator" if necessary.
Restart your computer when the tool has finished removing the McAfee components.
Download the latest version of McAfee Security Center directly from the McAfee website in the same way as you downloaded the removal tool. Do not install the program from the CD.
Tips and warnings
- If you do not have your account activated with McAfee so you can log in to the website, you will need to do so before downloading the Security Center.
- If you purchased McAfee from a partner, go to that company's website to download it.
- The MCPR removal tool only works on 2005 through 2010 versions of McAfee.
- If McAfee was pre-installed on your computer during manufacturing, you must activate your subscription with McAfee before you update or reinstall.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for