After purchasing a home, some people like to make a fresh start by using ancient, and sometimes mystic, rituals to cleanse their homes of bad energy. Others like to do a "spring cleaning" energy cleanse on their houses for a new beginning each year. Whether your house is old or new, cleaning up, cleaning out and general de-cluttering will make you feel renewed and fresh in your space and can lead to a more calm and rejuvenated psyche.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Essential oil all-purpose cleaner
- Window cleaner
- Paper towels
- Sage incense
- Incense holder
- Live house plants
- Bath salts
Clear out the house. If it is a new-to-you home, remove all the old belongings from the previous occupants. If you've lived in the home for some time, get rid of any items that you don't need anymore. Toss any garbage in the trash and recycle your recyclables; donate any gently used items to charity, or have a yard sale to clear out and sell things you no longer want.
Open every window, door, closet, drawer and cupboard in your house and keep them open for an entire day, if possible. Let the air blow through your space to remove all the stagnant and stale energy in your home.
Clean every surface of your home using essential oil cleaners with fresh scents such as lemon, eucalyptus, lavender, orange, tea tree and mint.
Wash your windows and open your blinds to flood your house with light. Enhance the light by hanging crystals and prisms in your windows; they will magnify the light and bring cheerful rainbows into your space.
Use salt in a ritual cleansing. Sprinkle about one quarter tsp of salt in the corners of every room and use a dry cloth with a little salt on it to wipe over bookshelves and closet shelves. Allow it to sit overnight and then sweep, or vacuum, it up making sure to immediately put it in a garbage outside your home.
Perform a sage smudge. Before you enter your house, burn some sage incense and fan the smoke all over your body. Enter your home and move from room to room burning the sage incense while you fan the smoke around the perimeters, paying close attention to corners, where stagnant energy can accumulate.
Purify your air with living plants. Bring house plants into your home to help keep your inside air fresh and clean and add positive energy to your space. Be sure to keep them out of your bedroom though; live plants have enough energy that they could make it difficult for you to sleep.
Cleanse yourself. Have a bath and add some salt to the water to remove any bad energy surrounding you.
Tips and warnings
- As a general rule, if you haven't used something in over a year, you probably don't need it.
- Recite a blessing while you perform your house cleansing. Use one that is meaningful to you, or create your own.
- When you open your home to outside air, do so early in the morning so that the sun can shine into every nook and cranny.
- When washing your home's surfaces, don't forget to clean underneath furniture and beneath shelved items on display
- Be careful while burning incense. Use a fire proof holder while carrying it around your house and be sure it is completely out once the smudging has been completed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- A State of Mind: How to Cleanse Your Home of Negative Energy; Nathaniel
- Self-Healing Expressions: Clear Negative Energy with Feng Shui & Color; Deborah Redfern
- Red Lotus Letter: Space Cleansing; Kathryn Weber
- Feng Shui in the Home: Feng Shui Home and Feng Shui Energies
- Best Online Psychics: Cleansing a Home of Bad Energy; 2011