Signs of ageing can be difficult to acknowledge. One of the first harbingers can be when your jowls begin to sag. As skin ages it becomes less elastic and the muscle tone underneath diminishes. The skin thins, and visibly appears lower on the face. Although it can seem that you are fighting a losing battle, some techniques can help you to minimise the effects of a sagging jowl. If you start with the least invasive methods now, you can save more drastic methods for a later time.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Say all of the vowels (a, e, i, o, u) in an overly exaggerated manner. This will stretch and strengthen your jowl muscles. Start with three to four times in a row, and work your way up to saying the series of vowels 10 to 15 times as your muscles improve. Exercise can be beneficial, but no one exercise can completely reverse the signs of ageing.
Drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods. Antioxidants are key in helping the skin to repair itself and water helps to improve skin's elasticity.
Sleep on your back. The fabric of most pillowcases can cause skin damage over the course of many years, and sleeping on your back helps to counter the effects of gravity during the day.
Apply lotions and creams designed to tighten the skin and to improve sagging. Formulations containing Retin A are widely believed to be the most successful. Creams containing collagen and elastin are also extremely popular.
Consult a plastic surgeon about more invasive methods. Surgery is a last resort for most people, and should be taken seriously. The procedure is usually a combination of liposuctions and lifting of the skin.
Methods to Try
Tips and warnings
- Always pat your face dry instead of rubbing with a cloth or towel to avoid stretching your skin.
- Spread lotions and creams in an upward motion to avoid stretching your skin.
- Use sunscreen to protect your skin from damaging UVA/UVB rays.
- Muscles that are used infrequently can be tight and prone to injury. Take care when adopting any exercise program, and stop if you experience any pain.
- Take care not to get creams or lotions in your eyes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for