Worms are one of the most popular options of live bait used by fisherman. Worms can be used to induce several species of fish to bite your hook. You can purchase packages of worms at your local bait shop, but you can save money during fishing season by building your own electric worm probe. An electric worm probe will allow you to harvest worms right from the ground and avoid paying for a new package of worms each time you go fishing.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 4 feet of insulated, single-strand electrical wire
- Wire cutter
- Wire stripper
- 2 plastic-handled screwdrivers
- 6-volt lantern battery
- Electrical tape
Cut the electrical wire into two equal two-foot pieces using your wire cutter.
Strip five to six inches of plastic insulation off one end of each piece of wire using your wire stripper.
Wrap the stripped end of one piece of wire around the metal portion of one screwdriver until you reach the plastic insulation. Repeat for the second wire and screwdriver.
Use your wire stripper to remove two to three inches of plastic insulation from the wire ends that are not connected to the screwdrivers.
Wrap one of the exposed wire ends around the positive (+) node on your 6-volt battery. Wrap the other wire around the negative (-) battery node. The nodes on the battery look similar to conical bed springs.
Cover the nodes and wires connected to the battery with electrical tape.
Insert the screwdrivers into the soil about two feet apart. The battery will send a low-level electrical current through the ground and worms will begin to appear on the surface for you to harvest.
Tips and warnings
- For better results, use the worm probe after a long rain or use a sprinkler to wet the ground. This will bring the worms closer to the surface and allow you to harvest more worms in less time.
- Once you have connected the wires to the battery nodes, an electric current will run through the screwdrivers. Test the connection by touching the ends of the screwdrivers together. You should see a small spark if the connection has been done correctly.
- Always hold the screwdrivers by the plastic handles, even though the voltage used in this method is minimal and much safer than using higher levels of electricity such as household outlets.