Field mice, or meadow mice as they're commonly called, regularly wreak havoc on crops and homes. Along with destroying crops and houses, field mice are also capable of bringing destruction upon vehicles. Field mice enter cars in search of food and shelter. Learning how to permanently and effectively get rid of field mice is essential if you want to keep your car pest-free.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Portable vacuum
- Disposable latex gloves
- Peppermint oil
- Cotton balls
Clean your car. Field mice are attracted to cars that are unclean. Remove all trash from your car and place it in a secure garbage can. Use a portable vacuum to pick up any stray crumbs.
Put snap-traps in your car. The Cornell University Cooperative Extension of Chemung County, New York, recommends using a pinch of oatmeal or peanut butter sprinkled over the trigger of the trap as bait. Place the traps in easy-to-view areas. Put on a pair of disposable latex gloves and remove the dead field mice from the snap-traps and place them in a secure garbage can.
Place mice repellents, like peppermint oil, in your car to keep field mice at bay. According to Harnett County, North Carolina, Horticulture Extension Agent Gary L. Pierce, field mice have a very keen sense of smell. Dip a few cotton balls into the peppermint oil and place the cotton balls in your boot and under a few car seats. Replace the peppermint-coated cotton balls biweekly to ensure lasting success.
Tips and warnings
- Field mice are attracted to garbage cans and stacks of firewood, therefore park your car as far away from these objects as possible.
- Field mice are most active during the early morning hours, so check the snap-traps at those times.
- Never eat in your car, as field mice are attracted to cars that feature leftover food crumbs.
- Remove dead mice quickly, as they cause odours and carry a wide array of diseases.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for