The Microsoft Xbox 360, a high definition gaming console and media device, has many accessories available. One of the more controversial accessories is the external HD DVD drive. Because of the discontinuation of the HD DVD format, the HD DVD player was also discontinued. This means the HD DVD drive and HD DVD movies can be found at very affordable prices. Using the HD DVD drive also allows you to quickly switch between your HD DVD movies and your Xbox 360 games, as the Xbox 360 games can be left in the Xbox 360’s standard DVD drive while watching movies.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive
- Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive installation disc
- Mini-USB to USB cable
Turn on your Xbox 360 and insert the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive installation disc. Then select “Play Disc” from “My Xbox.”
Connect your Xbox 360 HD DVD drive to the AC power supply cable and plug it into the wall.
Connect the small end of the mini-USB cable to the back of the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive and connect the larger end to one of the USB ports on the Xbox 360, preferably the USB port on the back of the console. This will leave the front USB ports for more frequently disconnected devices.
Ensure that your Xbox 360 is set to output high definition signals by navigating to “System Settings” under “My Xbox,” then go to “Console Settings,” “Display” and select “HDTV Settings.” Select the appropriate resolution for your HDTV.
Tips and warnings
- If you use the Xbox 360 wireless adaptor, you can disconnect it so that the HD DVD drive can be connected to the back of the Xbox 360, and then connect the wireless adaptor to the back of the HD DVD drive, keeping your front USB ports free.
- Updates for the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive can be received either by inserting an HD DVD disc into the drive while connected to Xbox Live or by downloading the update directly from Xbox.com and following the instructions to burn the disc.
- Do not move your Xbox 360 or HD DVD drive while a disc is spinning inside or you probably will scratch the disc beyond repair.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for