Since unexpected company can drop by at any moment, it’s important that your home smell fresh and clean. Many events that take place in your home can cause it to smell less than fresh. With a few simple ideas and some basic upkeep, your home can smell good all the time without tremendous last minute effort.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Rubbish bin liners
- Cat litter changing supplies (if needed)
- Pet stain cleaner (if needed)
- Baking soda
Empty the trashcans daily or more often if necessary. Food and other disposables can cause odours to linger in your home. By getting these odours out of your house you can improve your home's air quality drastically. Utilise your garbage disposal, if you have one, to get rid of foods. If not, be sure to take the trash out after food has been dumped inside.
Clean fabrics throughout your home, such as curtains, carpet and upholstery, thoroughly. Unpleasant odours can linger in fabrics and create a persistent smell in your home. By washing and cleaning these regularly per the manufacturers’ instructions, you can easily prevent and eliminate odours.
Create air flow through your home daily by opening windows and doors and letting fresh air in. Open several windows to help create a cross-draft and force the old air out. Make sure to do this daily to keep the air in your home from becoming stale.
Clean up after your pets often. Kitty litter boxes should be scooped out daily and changed at least once a week. Inspect your home for areas that your pet may have soiled and clean them up immediately to remove the odour and prevent repeat occurrences.
Sprinkle baking soda over carpet and upholstery and allow it to sit for several hours or overnight if possible. Baking soda draws odours out of fabrics easily and absorbs them. Vacuum the baking soda away to remove it.
Tips and warnings
- Dab a small amount of vanilla extract onto light bulbs within your home to help add a pleasant fragrance to your home.
- Sprinkle baking soda into the bottom of dustbins to help absorb odours.
- Place scented dryer sheets between the cushions of your furniture to keep it smelling fresh.
- Avoid smoking in your home as this is an odour that can linger and be difficult to remove.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for