The inconspicuous blue putty found behind classroom posters and dry erase boards in classrooms and dormitories around the world can seem like a lifesaver to stressed teachers and students. Blu Tack, the reusable adhesive, allows for the temporary hanging of objects on the wall; the adhesive can be removed at any time. However, the oils in the Blu Tack can leave behind stains that mar the wall. Some surfaces may need repainting; certain cleaning products, however, can remove the Tack and its stains.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plastic scraper
- Blu Tack
- Cloth or cotton swabs
- Citrus-based cleaner
- Sugar soap
Use a plastic scraper, the dull edge of a butter knife or a similar device to scrape as much Blu Tack from the surface as possible. Press a new piece of Blu Tack against the old to remove extra Tack; the adhesive will stick to itself.
Dampen a clean cloth or cotton swabs in citrus-based cleaner; these cleaners will help to dissolve the adhesive in the Blu Tack.
Apply the cleaner to the edges of the Blu Tack. Continue to scrape and pry with the scraper as the cleaner dissolves the adhesive. Reapply and scrape until the Blu Tack is removed.
Wash the area with sugar soap to remove the oil stain left by the Blu Tack. Follow specific product instructions for dilution or application techniques, as the products can vary in strength.
Rinse the area in clean water and allow it to dry completely before applying more Blu Tack or other adhesives.
Tips and warnings
- Find citrus-based cleaners and sugar soap at grocery stores and hardware or home improvement retailers.
- Citrus-based cleaners can distort the colour of carpets and garments. If you are trying to remove Blu Tack from these surfaces, spot-test the cleaner on an inconspicuous area first to avoid discolouration.
- If possible, do not use Blu Tack on porous surfaces (brick, cement, etc). These surfaces will absorb the oil from the Blu Tack; you will need to paint over these stains, as they cannot be removed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for