Making room for your new baby in your one bedroom apartment is possible if you have a corner or special space designated as the nursery. Although you probably don't want to decorate the entire bedroom with a teddy bear theme, you can still create a decorated space just for the baby, without compromising the rest of your style and decor. Consider forgoing a traditional baby theme since the room serves as your own bedroom as well.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Screen or shelf
- Wall decor
Paint the walls in a colour that works for your own bedroom decor and works for the baby. Consider a soft cream or beige that can be dressed up with any other colour to separate the space if you want the baby's area to be pink, but that isn't your style. Use wall decor or adhesive vinyl decals to decorate the walls if you can't paint due to the terms of your lease.
Situate the furniture against a corner to leave as much open floorspace as possible. Use practical furniture that does double duty, such as using the top of the baby's dresser as a changing table with a proper attachment. A compact crib or bassinet won't take up too much space if you position it against the corner.
Create privacy in the makeshift nursery with a temporary divider such as a folding screen or hanging curtains that can be drawn back, or separate the space with a open bookcase. An open bookcase, or even two bookcases placed back to back, can serve as a functional divider and storage station. Baskets of bins can hold the baby's toys and clothes, keeping his space compact and tidy.
Hang wall decals or pictures above the crib on both walls to define the baby's space. For example, spell out her name with cloth or wooden letters on one wall and stick decals of flowers and butterflies on the other.
Use colourful accessories to decorate the baby's area. A wall clock shaped like a train, a train mobile, a small train-shaped rug in front of the crib and train-themed bedding can create a special place for the baby without infringing on your bedroom space.
Tips and warnings
- Pick a theme that can fit in with your bedroom colour palette if you do choose a theme for the baby's area.
- Safety is the most important factor to consider when decorating the baby's area. Because you are sharing a bedroom, baby-proof the entire room with outlet plugs and making sure there are no wires or other hazards. Create the baby's area in a corner with no windows or other potentially dangerous elements.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for