Porcelain sinks are elegant and sturdy, although the surface can get scratched or chipped after longtime use. Replacing the unit isn't your only option, as it's possible to restore the sink. It could be a good opportunity to change the colour of the sink to match new decor. It's fairly simple to resurface a porcelain sink with a few tools and products.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Soft cloths
- Trisodium phosphate
- Medium- and fine-grit sandpaper
- Hand sander
- Bonding agent
- Epoxy primer
- Acrylic topcoat
Wipe the sink of any debris with a soft cloth dampened with trisodium phosphate. Removing debris will ensure the epoxy primer will adhere.
Clamp medium-grit sandpaper to a hand sander and sand the sink's surface. The sandpaper will smooth out scratches and imperfections while adding texture to the surface to ensure the paint sticks.
Sand with fine-grit sandpaper to even out the surface a little. Clean off the debris with a damp cloth.
Wipe on a light coat of bonding agent with a cloth. Let it set for 10 to 15 minutes.
Apply epoxy primer and thoroughly cover the sink, using a paintbrush. Do not apply too much as this can cause drips. Wait for it to dry for about 20 minutes.
Sand over the epoxy primer with fine-grit sandpaper and wipe off dust with a cloth. Apply a second coat of epoxy primer and wait for it to dry for about 20 minutes.
Sand off any marks with fine-grit sandpaper. Clean off the debris with a damp cloth and add another coat of epoxy primer. Let it dry.
Apply a light coat of acrylic topcoat paint with a brush. Let the paint dry for 20 minutes between each coat and apply as many layers as necessary for complete coverage. Avoid using the sink for 24 hours.
Tips and warnings
- Always wear protective eyewear, a mask to cover your mouth and nose and gloves to protect your hands when painting. Make sure the room has proper ventilation since paint contains harmful chemicals. Open all the doors and windows and use a fan for circulation. Avoid going into the area for two or three hours after painting to allow the fumes to dissipate.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for