Millions of people around the world have a tattoo and many of them have paid a large fee for their design. Even in a small town a small tattoo can be quite expensive and in larger cities it might be astronomical. Those who are looking to save a little money may consider doing one themselves. You actually can make a tattoo with household items that you have right now such as an ink pen and a razor blade.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Thread (optional)
Choose a tattoo design from a website like Tattoo Finder (see Resources below). The website lists thousands of different designs including tribal, popular cartoons and mythological creatures. If you’d prefer to do your own design you should sketch it out first on a piece of paper so you have something to see. This is often easier than doing it freehand on the skin.
Pull the top cap off a few ink pens to get to the ink inside. Since you’re making your tattoo with things around the house, this is your best bet to find ink. Remove the ink cartridge from inside and squeeze it into a small container. You can also exhale into the end of the ink tube to get the ink out.
Prepare everything you’ll need a few minutes in advance. Put a needle in boiling hot water to sterilize it and wash the area of the body that you want to tattoo with antibacterial soap and let the area dry. This will go a long way towards preventing any infection you might get from the tattoo.
Dip your needle in the ink from the ink pen and scratch it along the surface of the skin. You’ll need to actually break open the skin with the needle so that the ink goes below the surface and doesn’t just wash off.
Drag the needle along your skin until the tattoo is complete. You’ll need to continue dipping it into the ink until the design is finished. If you want you can also wrap thread around the needle before dipping it into the ink. The thread will absorb the ink and cause it to slowly drip down onto the tip of the needle.
Tips and warnings
- Keep in mind that your tattoo will only be one color or maybe two depending on the type of pens you have around your house. If you want a more colorful tattoo you should have a professional do it or purchase tattoo ink.
- Homemade tattoos are more prone to infections and problems than those done by a professional. You need to keep a close eye on the tattoo and look for any signs of infection or an allergic reaction and seek medical attention if necessary.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for