An air gun, unlike pistols and rifles, can fire a dart at the target without the need of gunpowder, springs or any mechanical mechanism. You can make an air gun that will, like any blowgun, use your breath in order to fire a dart. A few hardware supplies, a Nerf-branded dart and some tools commonly found around the house are all that is needed.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1/2-inch diameter, four foot long electrical conduit
- Measuring tape
- Utility knife
- Plastic 35mm film can
- Portable drill
- 1/4th-inch drill bit
- Glass dish
- Birthday candle
- Duct tape
- Nerf dart
Put a sheet of newspaper on a table. Put the plastic 35mm film can on the newspaper, lid side down.
Drill a hole through the bottom of the plastic 35mm film can with the portable drill.
Put a glass dish on the newspaper. Light a match.
Hold the flame of the match against the bottom of the birthday candle to soften the wax. Blow out the match.
Push the bottom of the birthday candle against the glass dish, making sure it adheres to the dish.
Light another match, and light the wick of the birthday candle. Blow out the match.
Hold the bottom of the plastic 35mm film can over the birthday candle's flame until it is shiny. Blow out the birthday candle.
Push one end of the electrical conduit slowly into the hole in the bottom of plastic 35mm film can.
Rotate the electrical conduit three times inside of the hole. Let the plastic 35mm film can cool off for five minutes.
Remove the lid from the top of the plastic 35mm film can and throw it out.
Wrap duct tape around the bit of electrical conduit inside the plastic film can, where it meets the hole in the bottom.
Wrap duct tape around the end of the electrical conduit, where it meets the hole in the bottom of the film can.
Insert a Nerf dart into the end of the electrical conduit that is now your air gun. Aim the barrel of your air gun at a far wall.
Take a deep breath. Bring the plastic 35mm film can up to your mouth. Wrap your lips around the can. Exhale a short, brief burst of air to fire the Nerf dart from your air gun at the far wall.
Tips and warnings
- The longer the electrical conduit, the more breath will be needed to fire the Nerf dart.
- Wear work gloves and protective eye-gear when making the air gun.
- Never shoot any kind of projectile at a person or pet.
- Adult supervision is required if the person making the air gun is underage, as cutting edges and a power tool are used.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for