The Ixia, also called African corn lily, originated in South Africa.The Ixia comes in shades of cream, purple, rose and yellow. A semi-hardy plant, the Ixia survives temperatures down to -2.22 degrees C without damage.The flowers produce an array of brilliant colour in outside flower beds, fresh cut flowers, and borders along a fence.The Ixia flowers in late spring and grows to approximate 15 to 16 inches tall. For the best showing in flower beds plant in groups six to 12 bulbs in one area of the flower bed, according to .
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Clear a sunny area, approximate 3 feet square, of all grass and weeds for planting the Ixia. Turn the soil with a shovel to loosen. Add 2 inches of compost and mix with the soil. Soil should be rich and well-drained, according to Wayne State University Clark County Extension. Dig a trench 5 inches deep with a trowel. Make several trenches, as space permits, about 1 foot apart.
Place bulbs 3 inches apart in the trench with the pointed side facing up and the rounded side down. Do not let the bulbs touch. Mix colours for a dramatic display of colour.
Replace the soil, cover the bulbs, being careful not to disturb the position of the Ixia bulbs. Press down on soil around the bulbs to firm and get any air bubbles out of the soil.
Use the mist setting on a garden hose nozzle and water the bulbs slowly to make sure the water is soaking into the soil. Moisture needs to reach the bottom of the bulbs so roots can form. Water every other day during growing season.
Add a thick layer, approximate 3 inches, of mulch over the area where the bulbs are planted to help keep weeds under control and to keep the bulbs moist.
Tips and warnings
- Plant bulbs in the fall for spring flowers.
- Do not water bulbs during winter.
- The bulbs will multiple.
- Every other year dig bulbs up and separate .
- Plants can be grown in pots and placed still in the pots, in the flowerbeds in the northern part of country.
- Place mulch over bulbs in winter for freeze protection.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for