Being able to research the status of a package you have sent or are expecting saves you time by allowing you to stay up to date on your package's progress and delivery status. With your tracking number, you can track your USPS package online or by phone. The U.S. Postal Service website allows you to check the status of your package by entering your tracking number or by signing up for e-mail notifications. Calling USPS Customer Service will allow you to track your package by phone or inquire on any concerns you may have regarding your package.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Label or receipt number
Make note of your tracking number when you mail your package. The USPS website notes this information can be located on the package label before mailing, or on your receipt. If you are expecting a package, contact the person who sent your package to request the tracking number.
Locate your label or receipt number from your sent package when you are ready to track your package. The USPS website notes that "The number of letters and numbers vary depending on the class of mail or extra service being used."
Go to the USPS website (see Resources) and enter your tracking number in the box that says "Track and Confirm," and press enter. This will allow you to view the tracking information for your package. The USPS website notes you may call the USPS Customer Service line at 1-800-222-1811 to track your package by phone.
Tips and warnings
- If you are attempting to track a package for an order you have placed and know has been sent, check your confirmation e-mail or contact the sender to request the USPS tracking number for your package.
- On the Track and Confirm page of the USPS website, clicking the question mark above the tracking number entry box will allow you to see an example of each type of tracking number for trackable mail services.
- If the USPS website informs you that your tracking number is invalid, try re-entering your tracking number carefully to ensure that the tracking number was entered correctly.
- The USPS wesite notes that tracking is only available for the following types of mail: Express Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for