When considering window treatments, you will be faced with a myriad of options. Not only will you have to choose the type and colour of the fabric, you will have to decide how you want the curtains to be hung. Traditionally, curtains hang from a rod suspended over the window. This, however, is not the only way to hang up a set of curtains. You can also use curtain hooks, which are attached to the wall.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Curtain hooks
- Drill with 3/16-inch bit
- Screwdriver bit
- Measuring tape
- Hollow wall anchors
- Curtains with grommeted holes in the top
Measure approximately 1 to 2 inched above the window casing on either side of the window. Make a light pencil mark at these locations.
Draw a straight line between the two marks. Make sure the line is straight--line up the bubble in the level between the marks to ensure straightness.
Hold the hooks against the wall so that the screw holes of the hook are on the line. Make a mark on the wall where the screw holes for each hook are. Position the hooks approximately 3 to 6 inches apart, depending on how many hooks you have.
Drill pilot holes through the wall at those marks with the 3/16" drill bit. Hammer wall anchors into the holes so the top of the anchors are even with the surface of the wall.
Place the hooks back over the holes and use a screwdriver or drill with a screwdriver bit to screw the hooks into place.
Hang the curtain on the hooks by placing the "hook" part through the holes in the top of the curtain. for this to work, you need a curtain with openings in the top that the hooks can go through.
Tips and warnings
- If you have an existing curtain rod, you can purchase a special set of hooks designed to hang on the rod and hold up the curtains. Simply open the hooks, place them around the rod, attach them to the curtain, and close them.
- When using curtain hooks, you will not be able to slide the curtains back and forth. In order to open the curtains, you will have to pull them back and tie them off at the wall on the side of the window.
- If your curtain does not have openings, you will need to construct them using grommets. Otherwise the curtain will not be secure on the hooks and it may get snagged, which can ruin the curtain.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for